Saturday, January 26, 2008

White Burgundy

Vic "The Velvet Hammer" Vicari, my sales person for Winebow came in this week with an inventory reduction list. Every distributor in the state is discounting wine, trying to get rid of wine they didn't sell during the big season. Usually it's some shit that they overbought, and even after a thousand case stacks in a thousand A&P s, they still have too much of it . Sometimes it's good wine that I buy and I'm a little miffed to see it on sale when I just bought some last month. So mostly I avoid this type of thing, but I took a look.
It was titled "cooking wine" and was a list of several 2000 and 2001 1er Cru white Burgundies, $12 a case. I couldn't resist, I bought six cases, and I bought them even after they assured me that they hadn't completely lost their minds, the wines were in fact shot. Such is the nature of my hopeless romanticism, I figured how shot could they be?
The Michel Colin-Deleger & Fils Puligny-Montrachet La Truffiere 2001 was the first bottle I cracked. The fruit was there and so was the acidity. It was a little oxidized, and the wine sort of fell apart mid palate. I would have been disappointed at $50 or $60 , but at $1 it was hard to be too critical. Then there was the sheer joy of actually cooking with 1er Cru Montrachet, dumping it on shrimp and garlic, boiling it in a pan. So much fun.
The next wine was the Michel Colin-Deleger & Fils Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chenevottes, which was thoroughly shot. It tasted like old olive oil and looked like a urine sample from someone who is suffering from dehydration. To test just how shot, I gave a bottle to a few musicians I know, a bass player, a guitar player and a saxophone player. Even they, with their great and persistent thirst, were reluctant to drink it, they did, but they hesitated.
So I don't know what to do with stuff. I am seriously considering opening each bottle and dumping it into the bathtub. The next time someone asks me if I drink a lot of white Burgundy I can literally say I bathe in the stuff.
Next Michel-Colin-Deleger et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Chaumes, which was pretty damn good, again missing a little penetration of flavor considering it's a 1er, but it tasted like something you might pay $30-$35 for.
So, two cases of drinking wine and one case of bath water for $36.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home