Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Beauty and Truth

"it's not so much about beauty as it is about truth" - Dave Anderson

Dave was of course referring to music. Specifically, he was making a point in our on going discussion of Miles Davis and John Coltrane, which turns out is a Rorschach test for your personality. I won't bore you with the details of that conversation, but his point got me thinking about wine and women, completing the trinity.
Big California wines are like large breasted actresses with injected lips. Their fame and flash draw you in, but the experience is ultimately uninteresting. Sweet overripe fruit, vanilla and sloppy behavior, that sums up the majority of my experience with California wine, and actresses.
I prefer wines of terroir, wines that have a culture and history behind them. I want wines with gaped teeth and crooked noses, that describe a place where they were born. Wines of expression, and seeming contradiction. Wines that keep you guessing, wines that are with you the next morning when you wake, and haunt you all the next day.
I would rather drink an inexpensive Cheverny, than a Napa Cabernet. There is nothing Caymus can tell me about wine or Napa, and ordering it at a restaurant to impress my friends is like bringing Pamela Anderson to my cousin's wedding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home