Thursday, January 1, 2009

Chateau Beaucastel




One of my favorite wines of all time, if for no other reason than I have a deep history with the wine going back many vintages. Once, I even did a vertical tasting with Marc Perrin himself of the 2004, 2003, 2001, 1995, 1989, 1985, 1983, 1978, as well as several vintages of the Rousanne V.V., including the 2002 which was remarkable for what was by all accounts a disasterous year in the Southern Rhone.

Beaucastel ages better than any wine I've ever had, there I said it. The 1978 and 1983 are still drinking beautifully, they get finer and lighter as they age obviously, but still show no sign of being in decline. I've taken Ch. Beaucastel head to head with Ch. Rayas and even once put Beaucastel 1983 vs. Ch. Latour 1982. When the dust settles and you get past the fame of the other suitors for your palate, I still prefer Beaucastel, it is my tongue's favorite lover.

There is an intrinsic advantage to that scope of varietal blending, in terms of complexity, and depth of flavor. Then there's Mourvedre! What can I say about Mourvedre that hasn't been said before in song and story. It imparts an earthy gaminess that appeals to those who like things like venison, wild boar and the smell of sex. Ch. Beaucastel may often lack the firm burnished surfaces of Ch. Latour or the absolute high toned clarity in Ch. Rayas, but for me, it is simply wine made manifest.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger jim morrison said...

I had a 1982 Ch Margaux yesterday, followed by two bottles of 1989 Ch Beaucastel. The Margaux was good, but the Beaucastel was better, much better.

May 26, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home